Dear MLK Families, Staff Members, and Friends,
Please accept our apologies for the delay of last week’s email! Here it is. We have eight news items from last week:
- No School TODAY Monday, January 18
- MLK Day of Service – TODAY Monday, January 18, 10 am-2 pm
- MLK Elementary Lobby Improvement Meeting – Wednesday, January 20, 2 pm
- MLK International Potluck – Thursday, January 28, 5:30-7:30 pm
- Student Emergency Forms – Please Return
- Upcoming PTO Meetings
- Middle School Open Houses and Information Meetings
- Nathan Bishop Middle School Open Houses and Information Meetings
No School TODAY Monday, January 18
In observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, there is no school on Monday, January 18.
MLK Day of Service – TODAY Monday, January 18, 10 am – 2 pm
While school is not in session, join the community to celebrate the life of Dr. King at the fifth annual MLK Day of Service: The Impact of Service and the Arts, co-sponsored by the Mt. Hope Learning Center and the Rhode Island School of Design. The day is hosted by DJ Justin Case and will include arts and crafts, conversation, celebratory performances, and other activities. This event will happen at King, in the cafeteria.
MLK Elementary Lobby Improvement Meeting – Wednesday, January 20, 2 pm
In order to beautiful MLK Elementary, MLK parents Karlo Berger and Cheryl McGuinness have arranged for Karen Feldman from Urban Eden Design to meet with staff and family members to explore with us how we can improve the “look and feel” of the school’s lobby and entrance. Karen Feldman is graciously continuing to provide her services to the school pro bono. This will be an open meeting, and all interested parents are welcome to attend.
What is your vision of how the lobby should look and feel? What ideally should be the experience of a child, teacher, staff member, or visitor coming into the school? How can the entranceway be both secure and welcoming? We are focusing on the lobby in part because it often provides the first impression people have of our school.
After this meeting, our next step will be to agree on a course of action and put together a budget. Our goal is to complete work on the lobby by the end of this school year. If you can’t make the meeting, please send vision, ideas, thoughts, or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 20.
MLK International Potluck – Thursday, January 28, 5:30-7:30 pm
The MLK International Potluck is our school’s annual event that celebrates Dr. King’s legacy and our the international heritage of King families. The evening features community, friendship, student performances and artwork, and fabulous food!
Please bring a contribution to the potluck dinner that reflects your family’s heritage–or something that you love to make and eat at home! No nuts or peanuts, please.
This year, we welcome students from Providence’s Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts who will share their talents with us. We’re also re-establishing the MLK Elementary tradition of singing “We Shall Overcome” at this event.
Here’s what to do:
- Put the date and time on your calendar!
- Check your kids’ backpacks for a RSVP form and return that to school OR visit http://www.signupgenius.com/go/409044babaf22a31-mlkinternational
- Talk with your family about what you’d like to share to eat that reflects your cultural heritage or family traditions
- Visit https://www.facebook.com/events/1093734657333241/ for updated info about the potluck and resources for learning about Dr. King and the Civil Rights era
- If you want to learn more about Dr. King’s life and legacy with your family, watch this short Kid President video together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXZhXTFWnE.
Student Emergency Forms – Please Return!
Students have brought home Student Emergency Forms. Please fill these out and return them to school. Thank you!
Upcoming PTO Meetings for 2016
Please mark your calendar for upcoming PTO meetings:
- Thursday, February 18, 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, March 15, 6:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 27. 6:00 pm
- Thursday, May 19, 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 7, 6:00 pm
Middle School Open Houses and Information Meetings
All Providence middle schools will be holding Open Houses for current fifth graders. Please visit http://www.providenceschools.org/Page/562 for dates, times, and more information.
Nathan Bishop Middle School Information Meetings
In addition to the PPSD Open Houses at Nathan Bishop on January 20, 8:45-10:45 am and January 21, 5:30-7:30 pm. Nathan Bishop families are hosting information and conversation meetings to help prospective families learn more about the school. Current students, alumni, and parents will be on hand to answer your questions. These sessions will be held at the Rochambeau Library, 708 Hope Street, at 6:30 pm on Thursday, January 21 and Monday, February 1. 4th grade families are welcome too! You can learn more and RSVP at the Nathan Bishop PTO Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NathanBishopPTO/
All the best for a meaningful MLK Day and a good week,
Jill Davidson (MLK PTO President) on behalf of the MLK PTO