Dear MLK Families, Staff Members, and Friends,
This week’s MLK Elementary news includes:
* Messages from Principal Lussier
* 9/17 Open House + BCI check
* MLK PTO Events + Two Hour Power
* Fundraising: East Side Marketplace, Amazon Smile, and Box Tops
Messages from Principal Lussier
We’re happy to share news and requests from MLK’s principal, Kristen Lussier! This week, she has the following announcements and reminders:
* Please send in your emergency forms! These are the forms that children brought home during the first week of school. They include emergency contact forms and permission for the school nurse to administer medications.
* Also, please send in the form that requests information related to free and reduced price school lunch, even if you do not expect your children to receive free or reduced price school lunches. Please note that you need to send in only one form per household for all children attending Providence Public Schools.
* Look for a flier in your kids’ backpacks about next week’s Open House on Thursday, September 17 (and read below for more about the Open House). Please attend to meet your children’s teachers, complete your BCI check, and connect with what’s happening at King this year.
* Reminder: there is NO SCHOOL on Monday, September 14 in observance of Rosh Hashanah. There is also no school on Wednesday, September 23 in observance of Yom Kippur.
School Open House and September PTO Meeting: Thursday, September 17, 6:30-8:30 pm
Sign up to volunteer (a little or a lot!) for upcoming PTO events, visit your children’s classrooms, and meet their teachers and other parents.
During the Open House, we will also be facilitating state Bureau of Criminal Identification checks, which are required for all school volunteers. We strongly urge you to complete a BCI check so that you can participate in activities in school per Rhode Island state law. This includes chaperoning field trips, assisting in classrooms, participating in PTO events that happen during the school day, and more. In order to do a BCI check, you will need to bring your driver’s license or some other form of valid photo ID and a check for $5 payable to “BCI.” We will collect applications on the spot and deliver them to the Rhode Island Attorney General’s office for processing. This allows you to skip a trip to the AG’s office, so come prepared! Thanks.
2015-2016 PTO Events
We’re happy to share dates for the events we’ve planned so far for this year. Please check your children’s backpacks for a flier with these events that went home this week.
TWO HOUR POWER! The MLK PTO asks every family to donate two hours to support a school event. Look for our Two-Hour Power Pledge at the Open House on September 17, in an upcoming weekly email, and in your kids’ backpacks. We cannot do any of this without your support! Thank you in advance.
MLK PTO Executive Committee Organizing and Business Meeting | Wednesday, September 16, 7:00-8:00 pm | MLK Elementary School Library
School Open House and First PTO Meeting | Thursday, September 17, 6:30-8:00 pm
Harvest Festival | Tuesday, October 27, 6:00-8:00 pm | MLK Elementary Cafeteria
Scholastic Book Fair | November 16-20 | MLK Elementary Gymnasium
Parent-Teacher Conferences | Wednesday, November 18
MLK International Potluck | Thursday, January 21, 6:00-8:00 pm | MLK Elementary Cafeteria
Other upcoming events include: Garden and Grounds Clean Up, Tech Safety Talk, Ristorante Pizzico Fundraiser and other fundraisers, PARCC Info Meeting, and more.
Fundraising: East Side Marketplace, Amazon Smile, and Box Tops
We have many easy options for you to raise funds to support field trips and much more this year. Please use these, and share with friends and family!
* East Side Marketplace (165 Pitman Street) contributes 1% of all purchases to the PTO through its Friendship Fund. Please save your receipts and send them in with your children or drop them off in the school office.
* The MLK PTO participates in Amazon.com’s Smile program, which contributes 0.5% of all eligible purchases to the MLK PTO. Click here to sign up and please spread the word to all friends and family who shop on Amazon!
* We also participate in the Box Tops for Education program. Please check packaged items for the Box Tops for Education logo. Clip them and send to school with your children or drop office in the office. Each Box Tops logo is worth 10 cents for our school.
* NEW! The MLK PTO will be participating in Goodsearch and Goodshop , offering yet more ways to raise money for King while going about your online business. We’ll be sharing more soon about how to sign up.
All the best,
Jill Davidson (MLK PTO President) on behalf of the MLK PTO