Dear MLK Families, Staff Members, and Friends,
Hi! This week’s MLK Elementary news includes:
* Harvest Festival on Tuesday, 10/28 – it’s going to be awesome!
* Public forums for the selection of the next Providence Public Schools Superintendent
* Spirit Week! 10/26-10/30
* Parent-Teacher Conferences, 11/18
* Scholastic Book Fair, 11/16-11/20 – book donations needed
MLK Harvest Festival | Tuesday, October 27, 5:30-7:30 pm
Bring the family to the MLK Harvest Festival for games, dancing (we’ll have a DJ!), arts and crafts, food, face painting bake sale goodies, and more. It’s also MLK Day during Spirit Week, and we’ll be have MLK t-shirts, sweatshirts, and other gear for sale.
We will be selling pumpkins too, so if you haven’t picked up your pumpkin for Halloween, just wait a few more days and get yours at the Harvest Festival. We’ll also have a family pumpkin carving station with pumpkin carving ideas and equipment available for family use (kids can use their creativity, but adults need to be the ones to use the knives!).
Click here to RSVP on Facebook and invite friends!
Finally…we need your help! You can contribute baked goods to the bake sale, shop for supplies, prepare and serve food, decorate the cafeteria, help with activities, or contribute to clean up. Visit www.SignUpGenius.com/go/409044BABAF22A31-mlkharvest to volunteer or return the Harvest Festival flier that went home in backpacks today. THANKS!!!
Spirit Week | October 26-30
Get ready for King’s Spirit Week – it’s next week!
* Monday, 10/26: Sports! Represent your favorite team.
* Tuesday, 10/27: MLK Spirit! Wear your King t-shirts.
* Wednesday, 10/28: Wacky Wednesday!
* Thursday, 10/29: Pajama Day!
* Friday, 10/30: Favorite Book Character! Dress as your favorite character from a book.
Public Forums for the Selection of the Next Providence Public Schools Superintendent
The Providence School Board has started the process of selecting a permanent school superintendent. Take the opportunity to voice your opinions on the qualities and skills that you believe the next superintendent should possess. Join the discussion covering both the job description for the superintendent and to explore the major issues facing a school superintendent in Providence.
Forums will take place as follows
* Thursday, October 22, 2015, 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM – Pleasant View Elementary School (50 Obadiah Brown Road, Providence, RI 02909)
* Wednesday, October 28, 2015, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM, Providence Career and Technical Academy (41 Fricker Street, Providence, RI 02903)
* Thursday, October 29, 2015, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM, Nathan Bishop Middle School (101 Sessions Street, Providence, RI 02906)
Click here for media coverage of the superintendent selection process and timeline.
Parent-Teacher Conferences | Wednesday, November 18
Save the date for parent-teacher conferences, which will take place during the afternoon and evening of November 18. More information to come!
Scholastic Book Fair | November 16-20 + Book Donations Requested
The annual Scholastic Book Fair will take place during the week of November 16-20, with a special Family Night during Parent-Teacher Conferences on Wednesday, November 18. All proceeds from the Book Fair go directly to the MLK Elementary Library. The book fair is the main source of funding for library books for King!
We hope you will plan your holiday shopping around the book fair. We will also be hosting an online version of the book fair so that friends and family members who cannot attend can still buy books to support the access to great books for all kids at our school.
During the week, students will visit the book fair for a preview and return later to purchase books. We will send home information about when your children’s classes will visiting the fair.
Finally, we are seeking donations of gently used wonderful books. To emphasize access to literacy and the love of books, we offer all King students the choice of a free used book! This is also a great way to clean up your kids’ bookshelves and share with other families. Please drop off contributions in the school lobby. Thank you!
All the best,
Jill Davidson (MLK PTO President) on behalf of the MLK PTO